Hair loss will affect approximately 40% of all men and women at some point in their lives. It has several causes, but 90% of hair loss is caused by a hormone byproduct called dihydrotestostrone, or DHT. Prescription medications are used to treat hair loss at great expense. Not only do prescriptions cost a lot of money, they also carry many side effects. Some medications for men, like Propecia, recommend that women and children do not even touch the pill at all due to side effects. If most of the population can’t even touch it, are you sure you want to ingest it on a daily basis? Some of the best hair loss products are available without a prescription, without the major side effects and without the high expense of some well-known products.
Causes And Types of Hair Loss:
It is important to know a little bit about some of the causes of hair loss, and how they manifest themselves, to understand how products for hair loss work. Androgenetic alopecia is most commonly known as “male pattern baldness.” It is usually seen as a receding hair line in front or a bald spot in the back of the head. The hair thins at first, and then stops growing altogether in those areas. The receding continues until the scalp is totally bald. This is caused by a combination of genetics and hormones or hormone byproducts. This is where the aforementioned DHT plays a definitive role. Despite the common name, this does affect women as well.
Telogen effluvium is basically shedding of hair in no particular pattern that often starts suddenly, without warning. Certain medications can cause this, as can metabolic dysfunction and hormonal stress. Trauma and/or certain diseases of the digestive tract are largely responsible for this type of hair loss that affects both men and women. Anagen effluvium is the loss of all your hair, and is caused by some combination of cancer drugs, chemotherapy, or ingestion of a toxic substance. Other causes include scarring of the hair follicle due to injury or accident, defective hair shafts and infection.
Non-prescription Treatment Options:
Many non-prescription treatments allow people to achieve similar results to prescription medications, but with little to no side effects. The best ones will come with a money back guarantee, so you have very little risk in trying them out. Several hair loss treatment reviews recommend you look at the effectiveness of the product, the convenience of it and the cost. There are supplements for hair loss, many a shampoo for hair loss, and even a laser treatment for hair loss. With so many different products available, it can be overwhelming when trying to choose one. You may need to try a few to find one that works the best for you. Here are a few suggestions of products recently reviewed.
1. Provillus is a topical spray available online. It contains Minoxidi,l which is FDA approved to block DHT as it supplies the scalp with nutrients to promote regrowth. It comes in different formulas for men and women, and has a high customer satisfaction rate, with some users reporting seeing results in 3-4 weeks. It is reasonably priced and has a 90 day money back guarantee. See full review here
2. Procerin is for men only, and consists of all natural herbs, vitamins and minerals. The 2 step approach includes a tablet and a topical serum. Its success rate is 88%, and works best on men ages 18-35 because it can help men retain their existing hair. Check latest review here
3. Sephren is for women only, and is a 2 step system that has a supplement and a topical foam. The supplement is an herbal one that contains vitamin B6, magnesium and PABA, which encourages hair pigment. This treatment comes with a 90 day money back guarantee.
4. Profollica is for both men and women. Its 3 step approach includes shampoo, lotion and supplements. This product has a 60 day return policy. Read more about it
5. NISIM Biofactors is a line of specially formulated shampoos, conditioners and topical sprays for men and women. These products work to stop excessive hair loss, and give existing hair improved volume and texture. It does not necessarily promote hair regrowth. This line comes with an unconditional money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the results.
6. Vanarex is for both genders and features a 3 step system. It has a topical formula, vitamins and a special shampoo that contains minoxidil. This has a 30 day return policy.
7. Advecia is an herbal supplement for both men and women. Users take 2 tablets before breakfast and two before supper. This product has a very generous 180 day return policy.
8. Har Vokse is a two step hair regrowth solution. It is for men and women. It addresses the causes and also treats the scalp. This is a natural product. You can read more here
Laser treatments are believed to stimulate hair growth at specific wave lengths. That has yet to be clinically proven, but some users have found success. It can be done via salon treatments or with an at home laser comb.
Hair loss affects people in different ways, as do various treatments. Some people embrace their baldness and just let it happen, while others fight it with all the effort and money they can muster. Try the less expensive routes first, and see if you can find success without the high cost and severe side effects or prescriptions.